Sunday, October 13, 2013

Rooting my phone

Finally I rooted my Sony Xperia Neo V to Cyanogenmod Jellybean 4.1.2. I was very reluctant to do this from quite some time.


Thanks to my pal Sridhar who thinks rooting the phone is a matter of fact. Having not rooted the phone this long, I felt like I am an outlier(in negative way) in Android world. I still remember the days when Sridhar told one day that he formatted his hard disk. That was about 14 years ago. I was beginning to learn about hard disk, yet formatting it was already a matter of fact to him. Those are the days....

Coming back to reality, my stock ROM had become a pain to use. As with all mid range Xperia phones, 358MB of RAM, 420MB of internal flash will leave the user with no choice but uninstall an app to install a new one. The phone was so slow that it would show called ID couple of seconds after starting to ring. I had to revive it or brick it.

Whole process was straight forward. I could not get fastboot detect the device on Windows, so did the whole thing on Ubuntu. Now I feel like it is a new phone. So responsive, ability to install apps on SD card, I am feeling like I have a new phone without spending a penny(but of course few hours of time). UI is also refreshing.

Migration to Jellybean is what excites me. I am more interested in Google Now, the feature where the phone starts learning about me. When other humans, including myself, could not understand me, I wonder what will phone learns...

So far, Jellybean has been sweet, everything is working as expected, hope it continues to be that way....

3 comments:

Niranjan said...

NICE!!! Geekdom jindabad! :)

It feels so nice to such stuff. :)

Vishwanath.N said...

Good Job, though I still don't understand what you have done to your phone ;)

Shashi said...

Yep, Geekdom is great!
I had not known until I did it to my phone!